I’m a big-picture thinker with an eye for the details. With more than a decade of leadership experience as a journalist in publications large and small, I’ve mastered every aspect of storytelling from photography to freelancers. I’m most interested in now just reporting the news quickly, fairly and accurately, but also by the interaction and relationship between reader and publication that can shape their perspective.
About this site
Is this a blog? Is it a portfolio? I guess the answer is “Yes.” It’s a spot to catalog some of my favorite work, even if it’s not “my best.”
e-mail: adamgnewman at gmail
Current coordinates: Portland, Oregon
Marketing and Communications Specialist – Greater Portland Inc
March 2017 – Present
- Greater Portland Inc is the Portland / Vancouver region’s economic development partnership. There I help market the region’s economic assets to prospective companies looking to relocate.
- Manage the outbound marketing efforts to recruit new businesses to the region to create living-wage jobs.
- Tell Greater Portland’s story through traditional media, social media, email marketing and personal communication with professional site-selection consultants.
- Assist our community partners with marketing, communications, and design projects.
- Maintain and update various programs’ websites using a number of CMS programs.
- Project manage events to showcase the commercial assets in the Greater Portland region.
- Design and build printed collateral including event programs, data analyses, maps, and other graphics.
Editor in Chief – Bicycle Times magazine
July 2015-March 2017
- Steered the short and long-term objectives of a national, general interest cycling magazine with more than 30,000 subscribers.
- Crafted fun, compelling and informative feature content, email newsletters and social media for our outlets, both in print and online.
- Wrangled a team of freelancers to ensure deadlines are met and quality is maintained.
- Did more with less, creating a competitive product with a fraction of the budget of the competition.
- Worked with advertising sales associates to ensure editorial maintains its independence while supporting revenue streams.
Online Director – Rotating Mass Media
September 2010-July 2015
- As Rotating Mass Media’s first full-time employee dedicated to online content, I spearheaded a wealth of changes that lead to a nearly 300% expansion in visitors.
- Developed fun and irreverent social media accounts that promoted our brands with wit and humor.
- Answered the call night and day when there were functionality problems with the websites and coordinated with the IT team to correct them. Worked ahead to plan and budget for rolling changes, updates and redesigns to the websites.
- Traveled the world to cultivate original content for the websites and print editions, shared my opinions in hundreds of product reviews, and photographed assignments including cover stories.
- Worked hand-in-hand with the advertising team to organize and write copy for client promotions.
Copy editor / Page designer – The Tampa Bay Times, St. Petersburg, Florida.
September 2003-July 2010
- Led a crucial role in the news production process as the liaison between the news desk and the copy desk, wrangling late stories, designing page layouts, crafting headlines and proofing pages for Florida’s largest newspaper.
- Was one of four chosen to launch tbt*, a free, tab-sized edition of the Times that reaches more than 75,000 readers every day. While there we broke barriers editing and packaging news for a younger, more time-starved audience.
- Leading the visual presentation of the tabloid I coordinated photographers, models and props for feature story photo shoots as well as personally photographing news stories in the field.
- As an events editor I led a four-person team responsible for an online database of bars, restaurants and clubs as well as their schedules of events and Times staff reviews. Developed and maintained an internal database to track events and venues.
- I stepped outside of my job description to create an in-house blog that covered cycling in the Tampa Bay region.
Internships and student work
- White House and Capitol Hill Photojournalist, Scripps Howard News Service, Washington, D.C., 2003.
- Photojournalist, Maryland Newsline and Capital News Service, University of Maryland, 2002-2003.
- Photojournalist, The Prince George’s Gazette, Landover, Md. 2002.
- Photojournalist and Reporter, The Montgomery Journal, Rockville, Md. 2001-2002.
- Photo Editor, The Diamondback student newspaper, University of Maryland, 2002-2003.
- University of Maryland, College Park. BA – Print Journalism, Class of 2003.
- College of Emergency Services, Milwaukie, Oregon: Emergency Medial Technician, 2017.
- Volunteer with Portland NET – the Neighborhood Emergency Team. This program trains citizens in emergency response protocols to assist first responders when necessary.
- Was asked to create the broadsheet newspaper prototypes for the 2007 Poynter Institute for Media Studies’ Eyetracking the News study that used computers to track how readers navigated a printed page.
- Winner: 2003 Society of Professional Journalists’ National Mark of Excellence: Online Feature Reporting.
- Accepted to attend the 2003 Missouri Photo Workshop, a week-long immersion course in a tiny town in Missouri led by Pulitzer-prize winning photojournalists and the University of Missouri School of Journalism.
- Guest speaker at several visual journalism seminars at the Poynter Institute for Media Studies.
I consider myself an “advanced” or “expert” user of the following:
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe InDesign
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Outlook
- Windows + Apple operating systems